Friday Favorites: Five Books That Have Greatly Blessed My Marriage
1. Love and Respect, by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs. If this book was put into practice by every married couple, I’m pretty sure divorce would cease to exist. It’s a simple message, but it’s incredibly profound.
2. The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands, by Dr. Laura Schlessinger. This woman says it like it is. My kinda girl. From sex topics to folding socks and personal hygiene, Dr. Laura has brutally honest advice for caring for your man. I love it.
3. The Five Love Languages, by Dr. Gary Chapman. This book has helped me understand myself, my spouse, my parents, my siblings, and other key relationships in my life so much better. I know this book will aid my relationship with my children as they grow older too.
4. A Lasting Promise, by Scott Stanley. This book, subtitled “A Christian Guide to Fighting for Your Marriage,” teaches the PREP approach to marital communication. SOooooo helpful. This was also the Hubs’ favorite book we were required to read as part of our pre-Cana marriage prep. If a guy likes a book about relationships, you know he’s either incredibly weird or the book is pretty darn amazing. Trust me: it’s the book.
5. When Two Become One: Enhancing Sexual Intimacy in Marriage, by Christopher and Rachel McClusky. From the back cover description: this book blends “the physical, emotional, and spiritual aspects of marriage with the sexual…and presents a compelling vision of God’s intentions for lovemaking that will foster a deeper experience of intimacy at every level in your marriage.” A sensitive topic, but this book handles it really well.