Friday Favorites: 5 of My Favorite Summer Desserts
I love dessert. I love it all year long, but here are five of my favorite summer dessert recipes. If you come for dinner on a summer evening, odds are very high I’ll be serving one of these favorites.
And fair warning: these desserts are not my favorite Weight Watchers or Southbeach or Paleo dessert recipes. No no no…these are unashamedly, unabashedly, unequivocally carb-heavy, sugar-heavy, and/or everything else delicious-y and probably unhealthy. But these are real-deal desserts. They are indulge food, and they are worth every. single. bite. Promise.
1. Uncle Bubba’s Key Lime Pie. Uncle Bubba is Paula Deen’s brother, and the co-owner (with Paula) of Uncle Bubba’s Oyster House in Savannah, GA. This is the key lime pie recipe he developed and serves in his restaurant. I love love key lime pie, and so far this is my favorite recipe to make at home, with a few of my own additions. I don’t think the crust is improved that much by the almonds, so if I don’t have them on hand I leave them out of the crust. Also, I just melt the butter – I don’t clarify it. And finally, I use real key limes instead of key lime juice from a bottle. I think it makes a world of difference in this dessert. (Don’t forget to serve with a heaping dollop of freshly whipped cream on top!) Recipe here.
2. Pavlova. This is a meringue dessert traditionally served with freshly whipped cream and fresh fruit and berries. Perfect for summer. My boys absolutely love this dessert. The Hubs actually requested it for Father’s Day in response to my offer to “make any dessert he asked for.” It’s light and refreshing so you can eat seconds and thirds and sevenths and not feel guilty (haha). My dear friend Mrs. Lara Pennell makes the best Pavlova I’ve ever had. She brought it to my bridal shower and ladies in South Carolina are still talking about it. But until I connive the recipe out of her, I’m using the Joy of Baking recipe and it’s quite delicious. Recipe here.
3. Berry Trifle. There are endless possibilities with a trifle dessert, especially in the summer. My favorite are Pampered Chef’s trifle recipes (and I love the Pampered Chef trifle bowl). In the summer I usually go for a berry trifle such as the Pampered Chef lemon blueberry trifle. Check out a whole list of Pampered Chef trifle recipes (including the lemon blueberry one) here.
4. Fruit Crumbles and Crisps. I don’t have a recipe for this, but I love throwing a bunch of fresh fruit into the oven in a crumble, crisp, or buckle dessert. In the height of summer they usually include peaches and blueberries. I always make up my own recipes on the fly for these desserts, but here’s one from Taste of Home that’s close to ones I make. So delicious served with Breyer’s vanilla ice cream. Nothing but the best of course! Recipe here.
5. Blueberry Pie. Yum. There are myriads of delicious recipes out there for blueberry pie, but this Martha Stewart one has been at the top of my list since my mom and I first made it together years ago. This pie totally deserves a heaping scoop of Breyer’s too. Recipe here.
Have I made you hungry yet? =)
Happy Friday Y’all!