Friday Favorites: My Five Favorite Summer Herbs and What to Do With Them:
1. Basil. Top favorite fresh herb of all time. We use it for pesto, almost nightly in garden salads, with sliced fresh mozzarella and tomato topped with balsamic vinegar. And we use it every Friday night for homemade pizza night.
2. Mint. I keep some on my kitchen counter every day for iced tea primarily, but I also throw it in ice water with lemon to freshen it up. And check out this amazing recipe for mojitos (the Hubs’ favorite summer cocktail): The Best Mojito Recipe from Musings of a Housewife Blog.
3. Green onions. Goes without saying, you can throw these in anything! Salads, omelets, quiche, etc etc etc. So versatile and this plant is practically indestructible! Grows back in the blink of an eye.
4. Italian Flat Leaf Parsley. I use it in salads, soups, chopped up for sauces, pesto, and marinades. Sometimes the Hubs finds a sprig of it on his dinner plate and asks “what’s this for?”
5. Thyme. Love adding thyme to sauteed summer veggies and in marinades for grilled or baked chicken. It has a lemony flavor so it kicks any recipe with lemon or citrus up another notch.
Fun Idea: This year I fill my gravy boat with water and fresh herbs from my outdoor herb garden and keep it on my kitchen counter for easy daily access. It’s also a pretty accent to my kitchen. And to keep my herbs growing like gangbusters, I cut them back often – even if I don’t need to immediately use that much. It just helps the plants get bigger. Besides, a bouquet of Italian parsley makes a nice kitchen accent too.